A little more wood-working. Some live music. We ordered the chairs (!). Wheee!
No, we're not done. BUT... we're still just under the 6 month mark, which I think isn't too bad for this first time carpenter. So where are we at now?
GW was lucky to find that there was a piano for the taking on the communication board through his work. We went to see it last week, and it looked great, so this Saturday we had it moved. Yay! It's big, but in truth, any piano would be big in there - it's only a 10.5' x 10.5' room. A room that now comes with live music!
We also are on the last stages of the bookshelves, finally! It's been such a fun project, but I'm ready to be done them.
I don't know if I explained about the tiny shelf I had to make on the corner piece. After putting the bottom shelves in, the height of the second one wasn't right for pouring (as this is going to be our liquor cabinet), so I had to make a mini one. I managed to put together two drawers to go in there! I'm quite excited about going to Lee Valley to pick a pair of handles for them.
I also have to put in another shelf below the drawers to accommodate two levels of glassware. More to make it visually appealing than anything. With the glassware on the shelf as it is now, there's a big awkward gap between the top of the glasses and the bottom of the shelf above. Oops.
|Look at that fit!|
It was a bit tricky to figure out how
to make the faces without nail holes
|But I figured it out!|
|And there they are :)|
Two drawers for... likely junk, lol.
'Tis the fate of tiny drawers like these
You might recall that he volunteered to stain the shelves for me once they were done. I don't think he realized it would be such a chore. It took him 2.5hrs to get the first one stained, but it looks great!
Thankfully it's dark enough with one coat, so he won't have to do a second. I almost didn't have the heart to tell him that we have to do some type of sealant on it too. BUT, if you're going to do it, do it right.
Today I'm hoping to finish the shelf for the glassware, and to create the trim piece for the top (it has to be removable so that we can move the shelves in the future if we want or need to). I also have to do some baseboard work, which is kind of scary (original baseboards, so I can't just get a new one if I wreck them). Fingers crossed!!