A few weeks ago, I finally remembered to ask my girlfriend, Grandma Kelso, just what it would take for her to make me some crocheted dish cloths. She's a super amazing crocheter (hunh, that's a word), and our cloths from Mom needed some extra friends in the rotation. My payment was to be "one crafty item that fits in a Canada Post envelope". Challenge accepted!
This was my first attempt at a butcher block cutting board / cheese board. I enjoyed making it, and hope that it holds up okay. I took five pieces of oak that had been cut to length, I glued them together and then started sanding them all to flush. It was actually quite a satisfying task, although I ran into two challenges.
The first one was that I didn't have a way to cut the ends to angles so that the cutting board can actually be picked up once you've loaded stuff onto it. The second challenge was that I had originally planned on staining a chevron pattern onto it (sorry K!).
The first challenge was easily (albeit anxiously) conquered once I purchased my NEW TABLE SAW! Whee! Haha. It was kind of scary to put it together, only because the instructions were nearly in a foreign language… but I got it together, and did a few test pieces. It's really powerful, and I managed to keep all my fingers, this time.
|Pretty angle…. pretty crappy cell phone picture, sorry!|
The second challenge I didn't overcome. Le sigh. I tested staining only certain parts of a few different pieces of spare wood, but I didn't find a way to get any nice crisp lines. I know how to do it with polyurethane, but in order to use poly on a kitchen block, you have to let it cure for over 30 days and I wanted to get this in the mail in time for the holidays.
|I made the grain opposite on each piece to accent the wood|
|I think I need more more logo burning practice|
There you have it! The first Waugh Woodshop butcher block cutting board. I think I'll keep it on my project list and make a few more in the future