Sunday, August 2, 2015

Stitch stitch here, stitch stitch there...


Oh Canada, what lovely weather you bless us with… every few days, in between horrible storms.  Do you know what this weather makes me want to do?  Stay indoors.  Seriously.  I can’t stand humidity (no, I’m not bothered about my hair, it’s always big)… and I really can’t stand heat.  There are few worse feelings than being overheated while wearing the most minimal amount of clothing that’s socially acceptable.

So this past weekend (actually two ago now), I stayed indoors and got some stuff done!  This weekend, we've been back out battling Jumanji ;)  In the meantime, I thought I’d haul out my new sewing machine that my Mum helped me get when she was down for Mother’s Day!

After gearing up my courage to take the new machine out of it’s box, I jumped right on it at 8am on Sunday.  I read the manual, as one should, and finally got a few things checked off of my sewing list.  Woo hoo!  I want to say that I’m not sure what I was afraid of, but when doing my third piece of the day, I figured it out.  My old hand-me-down machine had gotten in the habit of breaking needles.  Something was wrong with the tension, and so after fighting through the sunroom bench, and then wearing safety goggles while doing Christmas presents, I met my limit.  I realized this when using the new machine, as I felt a familiar fear for my eye-safety.  Unfounded of course, the new machine is lovely!  But fear nonetheless.

I did push through and got a few things done; a cover for our new tv in the basement so that it doesn’t get coated in wood dust; a cover for the snowflake décor I made last year; a new ‘tea sock’ for GW (although it’s not my best work); and lastly, the Gma’s recipe tea towel I made as Christmas gifts, but couldn’t bear to fight to finish mine.  Now it’s done!  Oh, I also did a couple of clothing items that needed repair, so I guess it was more of a successful day than I thought!  I have to do a couple of window blinds to keep the sun away, and hope to get those done before winter  ;-)

Lest you think I’m a complete mope and have been hating on what some people find to be a BEAUTIFUL summer, I thought I should share a couple of details of some recent time spent in the sun.

A couple of weekends ago we went to Stratford and saw The Sound of Music.  It would be hard for anyone to take on Julie’s role, but I found our dear Maria was a bit… overacted.  She settled somewhat in the second half, but didn’t end up being endearing to me overall.  GW thought it was all wonderful… perhaps he’ll watch the movie for the first time soon.

The weekend before last, we were graciously invited down to spend the night at a cottage with our friends.  We had a great time, good food, wine, nibs (Mmm), and of course, a beautiful Lake Huron sunset.  Then the next day, we hopped in the car to drive out to my Uncle’s for a pool party, which too was lovely!  I can’t say I was hating the weather on either day.

Stratford Festival Theatre
Pokey & I at the beach
Lake Huron sunset, while Poka watches on 













I hope you’ve been having a lovely time in this crazy weather.  I best head out and gather up our 4th harvest of driveway beans and check on the zucchini!  We’ve managed to keep our new plants alive out front so far, but everything needs to be checked on every few days or so.

Posts to your inbox?   That's easy… simply enter your email here:
No spam, I promise, just Project Jumanji Love!


No comments:

Post a Comment