Well, one problem with this was that the Gift-ee wouldn't have any way to cart them all around, or to store them. In comes the design step...
I unfortunately didn't take a lot of photos, but here's what I did take.
I used pine, did a lot of measuring, put together two boxes with some support at the top and bottom. The bottom support doubling as where you store the croquet balls. The last step was off to Lee Valley for some hardware. When I discovered that a window sash latch would work, the final touch was put together and the Christmas wrapping paper put on.
Now.... it's time to wait for the snow to melt, and to put on our fancy dresses for a whee spot of croquet by the lake!