Thursday, April 17, 2014

My new workbench!

You know all this wood-building I've been doing?  Well, there's been one important piece of this puzzle missing, until now.  

Every time I build something, I've been sitting on the cement floor of my basement.  It's how I used the saw, screwed things together, stained things, etc.  It certainly made for some cold winter evenings down there, and also a sore back from being so bent over.

SO, as it appears that this wood-working thing isn't just a phase, it was about time I built myself a workbench!


After I got the back room cleaned up in the basement, I just had to wait for a free day so that I could acquire some help from m'Pa, and then get building!  We found just such a day this past week.

I adapted a plan I found on my favourite woodworking site, Ana White - Homemaker, and then put together my "cut list".  I'm going to do a post that has the actual plan I used/made, but that's for another day.

For now, I'll share the photos with you!

Some photos of the bench in progress
The near finished product!

To make this work, we had to get a bit creative in a couple of places, but essentially we used one piece of plywood, and 11 pieces of 2x4 studs.  I still have to get the plywood for the shelf underneath the main table, but the guy at Lowe's couldn't cut any wood for us as someone broke the saw the day before.

I also have to do a bit of sanding, and I'm going to seal the top part with something super solid to resist  damage whenever I work on it :)

BUT, I'll share those details in my next post.


4 comments:

  1. Nice bench. Well made too. Good job.
    L - D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I should have sat on it for the photo... to show how solid we made it :) Thanks again for your help! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Merci :)
      I've figured out what I want to do for the sunroom - can't wait for you to help!

      Delete